Resident Parking Districts
There are a couple of different options to obtain your parking permits.
- Fill out an online application
- Email Dawn Kossmann
- In person at the Police Administration Office on the second floor of City Hall, Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
For any questions or assistance, call Dawn at 214-987-5355.
For temporary paper parking permits, dial 214-363-3000. Temporary paper permits are delivered 24/7. Thank you for your cooperation!
The parking districts near SMU, the Park Cities YMCA, and 3000 block of Rosedale all expire December 31 of each year. New stickers and hangtags are available October 1.
The parking district near Highland Park High School expires June 30 of each year. New stickers and hangtags are available July 1.
The City of University Park has various Resident Parking Districts.
- Neighborhoods near Highland Park High School
- Neighborhoods near Southern Methodist University
- Neighborhoods near the Moody Family YMCA
The City Council established the districts so that residents living near either campus and the YMCA have available on-street parking. Residents who park at curbside during restricted hours must display a special parking sticker on their vehicles. Vehicles without a sticker are subject to citation.
Resident Parking District Hours
- Highland Park High School District - 7 am to 5 pm (school days)
- Hillcrest West District - 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday (year-round)
- Hillcrest East District- 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday (year-round)
- The 2800 to 2900 blocks of Dyer, the 2800-3000 blocks of McFarlin, the 2900 block of Fondren and the 3200 block of Rankin are 8 am to 5 pm, seven days a week (year-round)
- R District - 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
- Y District - Anytime Monday through Friday (year-round), Midnight to 6 pm on Saturdays, and 2 pm to 5 pm on Sundays
Residents who live inside the boundaries of any of these districts and want stickers must:
- Proof of residency is required to obtain stickers - Proof of residency is demonstrated with a valid Texas Driver's License or ID Card, current electric, phone, or water bill (within the last 60 days), or current lease agreement or insurance policy.
- All applicants renting a property in a parking district must provide a copy of their current lease for review by staff.
Parking District Guidelines
- The stickers and year-long temporary permits are free.
- Two stickers and two year-long temporary permits are provided per address.
- The stickers are color-coded to differentiate the High School district, the two geographic areas that comprise the SMU districts (Hillcrest West, Hillcrest East and R District), and the YMCA district.
- During restricted hours, residents of one parking district are not eligible to park their vehicles curbside inside the boundaries of other parking districts.
- Clearly marked service vehicles do not need stickers.
- High School area Resident Parking District: Stickers will not be provided for high school students, HPISD volunteers, or PTA members who have an on-campus business.
- SMU area Resident Parking District: Stickers will not be provided for SMU students, faculty, and staff (unless they reside inside one of the districts) or visitors to the university.
- Stickers are not transferable. If a resident sells a vehicle, or a lease vehicle is returned, the resident is responsible for removing the sticker and obtaining a replacement sticker for the new vehicle.
- Stickers are valid only when they are permanently affixed to the outside of the vehicle (lower left-hand corner of the rear window)
- As a courtesy to others, park with traffic at all times. It is illegal in Texas to park facing oncoming traffic.