News Icon

Storm repairs - City, State, FEMA information.

News Icon

COVID-19 Updates and Information.

News Icon

New date for State of the City presentation.

News Icon

Former Mayor John Roach remembered.

News Icon

February 2021 UPdate.

News Icon

Work on improvements to the City’s stormwater system continues.  

Meetings Icon

Tuesday, March 2, 2021 - City Council Meeting

Meetings Icon

Tuesday, March 23, 2021 - City Council Meeting


Storm repairs - City, Texas, FEMA information

February 26, 2021

List of registered plumbers in UP

The City has received multiple inquiries about plumber recommendations as residents deal with water damage from frozen pipes. As you can appreciate, we don’t want to show preferential treatment to any particular plumber, but for your convenience we have pulled the full list of plumbing contractors who are currently registered with University Park. Using a plumber who is already registered may speed up your repair process.

You can find the full list here.

If you have made repairs and need your meter turned back on, please make all requests through this link:  We encourage you to have your plumber turn on your water meter after repairs have been made.   

Fire sprinkler repairs following meter shut off - Weather Emergency

Repairs to both commercial and residential sprinkler systems are allowed without acquiring a permit or inspection.  Service personnel can turn household fire sprinklers meters on and off as needed.  When the City turns off a meter to a residential fire suppression system, the City documents that action and does a follow up within 10 days make sure the meter is back in service.
Residents of one and two-family dwellings are not required to get a permit from the City for repairs to their fire suppression systems, but the work must be done by a licensed fire suppression contractor.  For commercial sprinkler systems, once the system is repaired the contractor or building representative needs to contact the University Park Fire Department at 214-987-5380.  The Department will schedule a visit to confirm the system is operational and that all red tags have been removed. The Department does not require a permit, just an inspection once complete.

Collection of reconstruction debris

As home repairs get underway, you may have a substantial amount of drywall, wood, pipes and other debris that needs to be trucked away.  Unfortunately, City sanitation personnel cannot collect these materials because the City doesn’t have the means to compact it prior to transporting it to a landfill.  If you have materials of this type that you need to remove from your property, here is a list of companies that work in the City and have been given franchise rights to collect construction debris.   

Federal Assistance for storm damage

Texas homeowners and renters in 31 additional counties who suffered damage from the winter storm that recently struck Texas may now apply for disaster assistance with FEMA.

If you have insurance and are applying for disaster assistance, you must also file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If insurance does not cover all your damage, you may be eligible for federal assistance.

The fastest and easiest way to apply is by visiting

If it is not possible to register online, call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The toll-free telephone lines operate from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT, seven days a week. Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel should update FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service.

Before you apply for assistance, please review these steps to begin the recovery process:

1. Contact your insurance agent (File a claim)
2. Register with FEMA
3. Schedule a FEMA inspection
4. Read the FEMA determination letter (Explains if you were approved or not)
5. Use the FEMA grant wisely
6. Save receipts and maintain good records (FEMA may audit expenditures)
7. Stay in touch with FEMA
8. Visit a disaster recovery center ( has links to locate a center)
9. Visit a FEMA hazard mitigation display (available at participating home improvement stores)

Helpful Link: Understanding FEMA Individual Assistance and Public Assistance

The U.S. Small Business Administration also provides low-interest disaster loans for businesses, homeowners and renters. Register online or call 1-800-659-2955.

SBA Texas Fact Sheet

Texas Department of Insurance - Help After Storm

The Texas Department of Insurance recently updated their “Help after the storm” information page regarding how to apply for claims and assistance for anyone that has questions with the process:

Voluntary survey to help the State of Texas understand damage suffered  

The Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) is asking Texans to complete a Self Reporting Damage Survey to better identify winter storm damage across the state.  Data will also help emergency management officials gain a better understanding of what occurred.  The Data will also provide FEMA with a better understanding of the need for federal disaster assistance for individuals.  

This is a voluntary survey 

Reporting your damage is not a substitute for reporting damage to an insurance agency, and does not guarantee disaster relief assistance.