picture of town fountain

Right of Way

News Icon

Oncor tree trimming northwest & central portion of UP - updated.

News Icon

Halloween Block Party sign-up process.

News Icon

October 2019 UPdate.

News Icon

The Arbor - October 2019

News Icon

T. Boone Pickens Memorial Services - details. 

News Icon

FY20 Budget Information.

Events Icon

Tuesday, October 22 at 4 p.m. - Elementary Explorers at UP Public Library.

Events Icon

Wednesday, October 23 at 3:45 p.m. - Preschool Story Time at UP Public Library.

Events Icon

Thursday, October 24 at 10:45 a.m. - Toddler Story at UP Public Library.

Events Icon

Thursday, October 24 at 3:30 p.m. - STEAM Station at UP Public Library.

Events Icon

Friday, October 25 at 10:45 a.m. - Baby Story Time at UP Public Library.

Events Icon

Saturday, October 26 at 10 a.m. - STEAM Station at UP Public Library.

Meetings Icon

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 - City Council Meeting


"Right-of-way" refers to physical space on or along streets and alleys.  Local, State and Federal laws give many private entities the right to use the public rights-of-way for their business purposes. Gas, electric, telecommunications, and cable television are a few of the functions that occupy the rights-of-way owned by the City of University Park.  In an attempt to ensure the health, safety and welfare of its residents, the City of University Park attempts to monitor and coordinate the use of the rights-of-way by private entities through its right-of-way management practices.  The City's right-of-way management function is an extension of the Engineering Division and is responsible for ensuring that all work done on public property is performed in accordance with all applicable regulations and construction standards.  Furthermore, the City attempts to oversee and coordinate construction or utility work to minimize any negative impact to surrounding property owners.

The City's right-of-way management function can be separated into two distinct areas:
  • Information for Residents - this includes contact information, complaint procedures, and an explanation of right-of-way work.
  • Information for Utility Companies and Contractors - this includes downloadable permit application forms and requirements for working in the rights-of-way.

Information for Residents

The City's right-of-way management staff can be of assistance with the following issues:

  • Providing information regarding the expected start date, expected completion date, and scope of any work being performed within the local rights-of-way;
  • Addressing complaints regarding work in the rights-of-way;
  • Coordinating with utility companies and contractors to minimize the inconvenience for residents.

For More Information
Questions or issues relating to work by private entities in the public rights-of-way can be submitted via our online service request form or by calling 214-987-5405.

For gas service related questions, contact Atmos Energy:

Electric service and billing related questions should be directed to your retail electric provider.  Outages and other emergency situations can be reported to Oncor Electric Delivery:
  • www.oncor.com
  • Outage hotline: 888-313-4747
  • 24-hour customer service: 888-313-6862
  • To find out more about Oncor's procedures, policies and initiatives, go to Ask Oncor.
  • For information concerning Oncors' "vegetation management" in alleys, click here.

Telephone service and billing related questions should be directed to your local telephone service provider.
Cable television related questions should be directed to Charter Spectrum, or depending on the neighborhood, AT&T:

Information for Utility Companies and Contractors
Entities wishing to work in the public rights-of-way must first submit an application for a right of way construction permit.  Please read Chapter 3, Article 3.1400 (right-of-way construction), of the Code of Ordinances of the City of University Park prior to applying for a permit.
  • Permit applications are required for the construction of new facilities and the replacement or upgrading of the company's existing facilities in the right-of-way, either aerial or underground;
  • Except in an emergency, a request for a construction permit must be submitted at least ten (10) working days before the proposed commencement of work in the request, unless waived by the Director of Public Works or his designee.  Requests for permits will be approved or disapproved by the Director of Public Works or his designee within a reasonable time of receiving all the necessary information.  The Public Works Department will use its best efforts to approve or disapprove a request for a permit as soon as possible.  No work shall commence until the City approves the permit.  The contractor must keep a copy of the permit at the work site.
  • The Department of Public Works must be notified 48 hours in advance that construction is ready to proceed by either the right-of-way user, its contractor, or representative
  • For information on requesting utility locates, click here

Right-of-way permit applications can be obtained via download from this web site.  Completed applications can be sent via fax to 214-987-5499.  For any questions regarding the permit submittal process and questions regarding construction details or inspections, call 214-987-5405 or fill out our service request form.

Right of Way Permit Application 2019
University Park Design Manual