picture of town fountain

Traffic Tickets

News Icon

November Oncor vegetation management efforts.

News Icon

COVID-19 Updates and Information.

News Icon

UPPD statements on fatal shooting.

News Icon

Boo! Halloween safety tips from UPPD.

News Icon

Let’s lock UP to reduce crime and protect property! (Part II)

News Icon

October 2021 UPdate.

Events Icon

Wednesday, October 27 at 10:45 a.m. - Preschool STEAM and Stories.

Events Icon

Thursday, October 28 at 10:45 a.m. - Toddler Story Time in Goar Park.

Events Icon

Saturday, October 30 at 1:30 p.m. - Halloween Crafts & Spooky Fun @ UP Public Library.

Events Icon

Saturday, October 30 at 3 p.m. - UP @ the Library Family Time.

Meetings Icon

Tuesday, November 2, 2021 - City Council Meeting

Meetings Icon

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - City Council Meeting


Several options exist for persons who have received traffic tickets. Below are some common options. Simply paying the fine without appearing at court is allowed, but this will result in a conviction on your driving record.

Driver Safety Course (DSC)

This option is available for traffic offenses that are classified as “moving violations.” After paying the DSC fee and court costs, you would be allowed 90 days in which to complete the terms of the DSC agreement. This alternative has the advantage of not appearing on your driving record. If you are interested in this option, click on the Defensive Driving title.

Deferred Disposition

Deferred disposition is a form of probation. The judge will determine if you are eligible for a deferred disposition once you request it and after you pay your deferred fee and court costs. The deferral period can last between 90 – 180 days, depending on the offense. If you are interested in this option please click the Deferred Disposition title.

Paying the Violation

This will stay on your record as a conviction. To use this option you must enter a plea of guilty or no contest and waive your right to a trial. Payment can be made online, in person, or by mail. Once the violation is paid in full no other action is necessary. 

  • No Contest (Nolo Contendere)

    • A plea of nolo contendere means that you do not contest the charges against you. A plea of nolo contendere cannot be used against you in the event of a subsequent civil suit for damages (i.e., traffic accident for which you are subsequently sued). When you enter a “No Contest” plea, you must pay the fine specified for the violation.

  • Guilty

    • By entering a plea of guilty you admit that the act is prohibited by law, that you committed the act charged, and that you have no defense. When you plead guilty to a violation, you must pay the fine ordered by the court.

    • Before entering your plea of guilty, however, you should understand the following:

      • The State has the burden of proving you violated the law

      • You have the right to hear the State’s evidence and require the State to prove you violated the law

      • A plea of guilty may be used against you in a civil suit if there was a traffic accident.

      • You have a right to have an attorney.

  • Not Guilty

    • A plea of not guilty means that you are informing the Court that you deny guilt or that you have a good defense for your case. When you enter a plea of Not Guilty to a charge, you will receive a date to appear in court.


You can review fines/court costs for city violations here. If you are not sure of the violation charged or the fine due, please contact the Court 214-987-5331. Please wait at least 3 days after the date on the citation before calling the Court.