Upcoming Spring Events
May 9, 2017
Friends of the Library Splash Bash - May 26
Bring the entire family to a private pool party at the Holmes Aquatic Center to benefit UP Public Library.
Here’s your chance to get a jump on pool season, spend time with family and friends and benefit your neighborhood library. Come to the Friends 3rd annual Splash Bash! On Friday, May 26, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. enjoy a cookout dinner with hamburgers and hot dogs, music, the main pool and diving boards, the water slide and sprayground. Lifeguards will be on duty.
Reserve your spot and get a discount price when you join the 2017 Friends of the UPPL. Tickets are $50 for a Friends-member family pass, $75 for a non-member family pass and $15 for individuals. Register online or mail a check, with the number in your group and an email address, to Friends of UPPL, 3419 Westminster, Suite 335-G, Dallas, TX 75205.
Once on the site, click on the Special Events tab to reserve your tickets. If they are available, tickets at the gate will be $15 per person for those age 3 and up.
The rainout date for this event is Friday, August 25.
Generously underwritten by:
Financial Literacy Boot Camp for Middle & High School Students - May 30 to June 1
This three-day program is hosted by Friends of the UP Public Library. Camp presenter is Sharon Washburn, Second Vice President, Morgan Stanley. Speaking on negotiations is Spencer Turner, Attorney at Law, Houser Law Firm, P.C.
Tuesday, May 30 - Thursday, June 1
10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 30
11 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 31 and June 1
University Park Public Library
8383 Preston Center Plaza
3rd Floor Meeting Room
Lunch will be provided each day.
Camp Mission: To increase understanding of personal finance and money management.
- Banking and credit
- Do I need a budget?
- How to understand my summer job paycheck
- What's the difference between a debit card and a credit card?
- What is negotiable? How do I negotiate?
- What's a stock? What's a bond? What's an ETF?
- What does a career in the financial sector look like?
Parents are welcome. Registration is required by Saturday, May 27. A suggested donation of $25 to the Friends of the UPPL would be appreciated.
Click here to register.
Annual Children's Fishing Derby June 3
The pond will be stocked and the fish will be biting! The City of University Park will host this year’s Children’s Fishing Derby on Saturday, June 3 at Caruth Park from 9 a.m. to Noon. Children must bring their own pole and bait. “Catch and Release” procedures will be followed.
Lots of activities
Every hour awards will be presented for the largest and smallest fish caught! In addition, there will be children’s entertainment, a photo booth and various local business sponsors will be on site. For more information about the event, contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 214-987-5488.
Event Title Sponsors:
Youth summer reading program starts June 3
Registration for University Park Public Library’s popular summer program, UP With Reading! starts June 3. This year you have two opportunities to sign-up on the first day. Toddlers to teens are encouraged to register!
- Stop by the library in the Plaza at Preston Center that afternoon at 2 o’clock for crafts photos, snacks and fun. You might even see a pirate or two!
- That morning from 9 to noon, library staff will also be at the City’s annual Fishing Derby at Caruth Park to register readers.
If you miss one of those two opportunities to register, you can sign-up online through the City’s website at uptexas.org. Just click on the Library icon. Online registration won't be available before June 3.
Registered participants can take part in fun activities throughout June and July. All activities, featuring special guests, will take place at the library on Wednesdays, beginning at 3 p.m.
Here’s the lineup:
- June 7 - Snake Encounters – see slithering snakes
- June 14 - Wishing for Wings – puppet show from the Dallas Arboretum
- June 21 - Mad Science - science-themed show that will amaze and entertain
- June 28 - Professor Brainius - wild and wacky interactive science experiments
- July 12 - Take Me to the Stars – Fort Worth Children’s Museum staff
- July 19 - Arctic Animals - search for Polar Bears and the animals that live among them
- July 26 – Mr. Phil and Pete the Cat - interactive stories and jokes
This summer’s UP With Reading theme is “Aim for the Stars.” Each registered participant will be given a rocket ship to hang in the library.
Prizes will be awarded for 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 hours of reading as hours are achieved.
- A yard sign for each child who registers
- A participation certificate for each child who reads 10 hours
- A space ball for each child who reads 20 hours
- A book to donate to Reach Out and Read* for each child who reads 30 hours
- A book bag for each child who reads 40 hours
- Each child who reads 50 or more hours will be entered into prize drawings
* For the second straight year, the University Park Public Library is proud to partner with the Highland Park Public Library in donating books to a local charity. This year’s charity is Reach Out and Read, a group that incorporates books into pediatric care and encourages families to read aloud together.
UP with Reading sponsor: