Food Service Health Permits
Article 6.07 of the University Park Code of Ordinances requires that all food service establishments operating within the confines of University Park be permitted by the City Secretary. The City contracts with the Dallas County Environmental Health Division to provide two mandatory inspections of all food service establishments annually.
Application Procedures for New Food Service Establishments
Procedure for Annual Permit Renewal
- Contact Dallas County Environmental Health Division at (214) 819-2115 to schedule an inspection. The inspector will provide the applicant a report with “OKAY TO PERMIT” written on it.
- Complete an application for a new food service establishment.
- Bring the completed application, the inspector authorization to permit report and a $225 permit fee to the City Secretary’s office at City Hall. The fee is payable by cash, check or credit card.
Application Procedure for a Temporary Health Permit
- Complete a renewal application for for an existing food service establishment.
- Bring a completed application and $225 permit fee to the City Secretary’s office at City Hall. The fee is payable by cash, check or credit card.
- Annual renewals will be valid from the date of previous expiration, regardless of when paid. If renewal is over 45 days past due, a new permit and inspection will be required.
- Contact Dallas County Environmental Health Division at (214) 819-2115 to schedule an inspection. The inspector will provide an inspection report with “OKAY TO PERMIT” written on it.
- Complete an application for a temporary food service establishment.
- Bring a completed application, inspector report and $100 permit fee plus $10 for each additional day, up to 14 consecutive days, to the City Secretary’s office at City Hall. The fee is payable by cash, check or credit card.
Mobile Food Truck Regulations
Mobile food trucks are required to have a health permit issued from the City. Article 6.07.002 requires that each truck have a current permit sticker affixed to the left rear bumper and that the operator carry the paper permit in their vehicle.
Mobile food trucks are not permitted to vend from public rights-of-way. Vehicles must pull onto private property when making a sale.
Mobile food trucks who vend from private property must have written permission from the owner, have access to hand-washing and restroom facilities, be located in an area zoned for retail sales, and not be located within the public right-of-way. Written permission from the property owner must be available for inspection while at the site. Areas zones for retail sales are GR, RC, SC, and C. Concessionaires may also vend on the SMU campus with prior SMU approval. Approved areas for retail sales are shown on the City's zoning map
View the most recent Retail Food Inspection Report
On-site inspections are conducted by the Environmental Health Division of the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department.
The score will be entered numerically from 0 to 30 or above. It is important to remember when looking at the overall score to keep in mind the type of operation being conducted at that facility. A full-service restaurant, for example, that prepares meals from scratch is involved in more complex operations and processing than a convenience store that sells only prepackaged food items. Also, any inspection is a "snapshot" of the day and time of the inspection.
Depending on when the inspection occurs, a food establishment could have more or less violations than noted at the time and date the inspection was made and may not be representative of the overall, long-term cleanliness of an establishment. It is also important to remember that at the time of the inspection, violations are recorded on the inspection form, but are often corrected on-the-spot prior to the health inspector leaving the establishment.
Grading criteria inspections are scored 100 and below. The lower the score, the fewer violations at the time of inspection. The grading criteria are:
Click Here to view the most recent Retail Food Inspection Report
for any restaurant or food service outlet in University Park.