What can you do?

Stormwater pollution can be controlled if everyone plays a part in preventing these substances from entering the storm drain inlets in the streets where they live and work.

Residents can help prevent stormwater pollution by:

  • Picking up after your pets
  • Asking your landscaper to avoid blowing leaves and grass clippings onto sidewalks and streets
  • Applying fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides when rain is not expected
  • Picking up litter
  • Disposing of hazardous chemicals properly and notifying University Park's Public Works Department of construction sites that aren't properly controlling stormwater runoff

Contractors can also help prevent stormwater pollution at job sites. Here is some more information:

View the calendar if you are interested in attending environmentally-focused events at Southern Methodist University.

If you have feedback regarding the City's stormwater programs that you would like to share, please email Jodie Ledat.

Yard Waste Polution

Yard Waste Polution 2

Another way you can help is to let us know if you see a spill or discharge. A spill is any release of material that threatens human health or the environment. An illicit discharge is any discharge to the City's storm sewer that is not composed entirely of stormwater, except discharges that are allowed by permit.

If you see oil, antifreeze, paint, or any other questionable material being spilled or intentionally dumped on the roadway or into a stormwater inlet, please contact Jodie Ledat at 214-987-5447 or by emailing Jodie Ledat.

Learn how you can make a big difference on our local waterways (PDF).

These websites provide a wealth of additional information on this subject:

Show All Answers

1. Why should you care?
2. What can you do?