- Utility Services
- Watering Restrictions
In University Park, outdoor watering by automatic sprinkler systems is limited to twice a week, year-round. The City also prohibits the use of outdoor watering systems from 10 am to 6 pm daily from April 1 to October 31.
Watering Days Determined by Street Address
Consistent with ordinances in many other area communities, outdoor watering days are determined by street address.
- Even - Residents with addresses ending in an even number can use automatic sprinklers on Sundays and Thursdays.
- Odd - Addresses ending in an odd number can use automatic sprinklers on Saturdays and Wednesdays.
- Multi-family addresses and office buildings will water using their lowest street address number.
Watering Restriction Exemptions
- Residents can water at any time of the day or night, and on any day of the week with a hand-held hose, a drip irrigation device, a soaker hose, or a watering can.
- Automatic sprinkler systems can be used during the repair or testing of a new or existing system and to irrigate newly planted landscapes within 30 days of installation.
- Automatic sprinklers can be used to irrigate athletic fields used for organized sports to protect the health and safety of the players, staff, and officials present for athletic events.
- Sprinkler systems that are not connected to the City's water system are exempt from outdoor watering restrictions.
The City's Parks and Recreation Department watered its 60 acres of park space and other landscaped areas, including medians on a twice-a-week schedule (meaning no zone is activated more than twice a week). Because the City's irrigation system includes more than 50 water controllers, it's possible you may see an irrigation malfunction before a City staff member does. If you notice a problem, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 214-987-5488 or dial 311.
Reporting a Watering Violation
If you see a watering violation, notify the City using our online request system or call 311. So that staff can follow up to seek compliance, please include the address, day, and time of the violation.
Parks Irrigation System Maintenance & Signage
Parks and Recreation Department staff members routinely check all park irrigation systems. System checks and repairs are conducted during the workday. When this work is being performed, staff will place signs in the park to let people know why the sprinklers are in use. System checks are usually short in duration.
Notify the City if You Spot a Problem
Parks and other landscaped areas including medians are programmed to receive water no more than twice a week. Because the City's irrigation system includes more than 50 water controllers, it's possible you may see an irrigation malfunction before a City staff member does. If you notice a problem, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 214-987-5488 or dial 311.